The spiritual life does not remove us from the world but leads us deeper into it.
Henri J. M. Nouwen
In its simplest definition, ‘spirituality’ means knowing how to live with meaning and purpose.
Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University
Spirituality is not about beliefs - it is about the way we live and conduct our day-to-day lives.
in his autobiography No Destination.
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.
At the core of spirituality is the need to feel and express love and compassion for everyone, with the understanding that we are all part of a greater reality.
Spiritual England - Opening the doors to support, inspiration and spiritual growth for everyone.
Spiritual England is a social enterprise which had its beginings in 2007 at a focus group organised by Anna Lubelska. The focus group was held at the Reform Club in London. The aim of it was to explore the idea of creating an organisation to promote spirituality and to help people be more spiritual. The seminar participants were chosen to represent a wide range of religions and also there were people with no religion or any belief in God or the divine. The participants created a joint vision which is set out on this website on the page called: 'Spiritual England - the Vision'. This vision is encapsulated in the Spiritual England strapline: Spiritual England - Opening the doors to support, inspiration and spiritual growth for everyone.
In May 2007, Anna Lubelska wrote the following 'Case for Action' which formed the basis of the discussions at the focus group.
'The Case for Action
- I know, from many years of work in the field of services to children and families, that there is a great unmet need for support and guidance. I have become much more aware of this recently, as I am currently working with families in the criminal justice system.
- I would like to see more people benefiting from the kind of support that my family, my friends and I have had in times of need. This support has been from a wide range of spiritual/religious activities and communities such as Christian home groups, Sikh communities, Sufi practices, yoga, different types of meditation as well as non faith-based areas of activity with spiritual dimensions such as music and sport.
- Unfortunately, many people do not even think of looking to these areas for support and if, and when they do, they often lack the necessary information and confidence to participate at a level that would result in a fulfilling experience.
- I believe that such support and guidance could and should be available and accessible, not just in times of need, but also for ongoing support and development.
The predictable future if no action is taken
- Many people will continue to miss out on sources of support and spiritual growth.
- There will be a missed opportunity to build nurturing communities.
- Levels of family breakdown and mental ill health will continue to rise.
Creating a new future
- I have created the possibility of support, inspiration and spiritual growth for everyone.
- My aim is to remove the barriers and open the doors to greater participation in a wide range of good quality spiritual activities and communities.
- I believe that the vehicle for promoting and enabling this will be a new organisation called Spiritual England.
Spiritual England – the organisation
- A national organisation and social enterprise.
- Working to develop understanding, spread good practice and promote activities which open the doors to support, inspiration and spiritual growth for everyone.
- Engaging with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- With a remit that is wider than faith-based activities.
- Providing information, advice and a helpline.
- Acting as a watchdog to ensure human rights based practices.'